The Ed and I watch Martha Stewart’s Baking show every evening. The other night, she made a Lemon Bundt Cake and we have been craving it ever since. Last night, I decided to make it for The Ed. Even though I didn’t have the fancy Nordicware Bundt pan that Marta (we call her Marta) used in the program, I made it in the “ordinary” bundt pan. Boont? Bawnt? Bundttt?
It turned out very tasty. The cake is more like a poundcake, but very moist and very lemony. It’s delicious with a nice hot cup of coffee!
^This photo is not my cake. This is Marta’s.
Recipe: Lemon Bundt Cake with Lemon Syrup.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for pan
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest and 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (from 2 lemons)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- For Lemon Syrup:
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 12-cup bundt pan. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, lemon zest, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and granulated sugar on medium-high until light and fluffy, 4 to 5 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition; mix in lemon juice.
- With mixer on low, alternately add flour mixture sour cream, and lemon juice, beginning and ending with flour mixture; mix just until incorporated (do not over mix). Spoon batter into prepared pan, and smooth top with a rubber spatula. Firmly tap pan on a work surface to level batter.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean; 55 to 60 minutes (if cake browns too quickly, tent loosely with aluminum foil). Let cake cool in pan 30 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool completely. (To store, wrap cake in plastic, and keep at room temperature, up to 3 days.) Poke holes all over the cooled cake, and brush with lemon syrup. If the cake does not absorb all the syrup at once, allow to sit about 20 minutes before continuing to brush with any remaining syrup.
- For the Lemon Syrup: Combine ingredients in a small saucepan. Over medium heat, whisk the mixture until all the sugar has dissolved.